I made another cute top like the one I did for Lily but this one is for my middle grandangel, Brooklyn. (she is 10) This was my first attempt at doing an applique' and I LOVE IT! I made the top exactly like the Dora top I made a few weeks ago - so simple. Again, this was a tee shirt piece left over from tee shirt dresses I made last year. I am so glad I kept them all! This Zebra print fabric was $1.60 found in the clearance bin at Walmart. Last weekend I picked up about 10 of these rolls of leftovers - any where from 1/4 yard to 1 yard - I paid 80 cents to $1.60 for each piece. I am going back this weekend and loading up if they still have the bin.
I am actually trying to decide if I want to make this into a dress by adding a couple more layer, depending what other fabric I find.
This is the one I made for Lily from a scrap of Dora print fabric. I think I may add an applique on it as well before I give it to her.
So here is how I made it - I used the whole width of the scrap of fabric and hemmed the scrap. I then set my machine on the loosest setting so when I sewed along the top it gathered the fabric. I then pinned the gathered piece to the tee shirt - right sides together - making it fit and then sew! (remember to set your machine back to its original setting!) I seamed the ends together right in the middle of the back. You could do this part before you ever start pinning if you prefer.
Appique' - I used Steam A Seam 2 Fusible Web and the directions are on the packaging. You can buy this at Hobby Lobby and it is really simple to use.