Monday, June 18, 2012

Wallpapering the Non Traditional Way

This is a creative alternative to traditional wallpapering. It is inexpensive, fun and very quick! Everything you need is listed on this page and you will be surprised just how little it all costs! I have completed 3 rooms in my own home and it definately gives a different look.
If you would like to wallpaper a room but are on a limited budget, do what I did. I bought scrapbooking paper (when it was on sale at Hobby Lobby) and then cut the individual sheets in various shapes. The cool thing is you can use just a couple of different designs or really go crazy and use as many as you want. In my bathroom (which is pretty big) I used about 12 different designs. In my spare bedrooms, I used only 3 designs. It is fun and easy to do and you can do this all by yourself and it takes very little time. You can't mess it up!
You will need:
Scrapbooking sheets
Elmer's Glue
A large pan ( I use a plastic paint pan)
small paint brush
Water
hand towels
Ok...when you are ready you will make a paste with the Elmer's glue. I just buy the biggest bottles I can find and pour it into the pan and then fill the bottle not quite half full with water and mix with the glue. You want it to be about pancake batter consistency. (I also buy the glue using Hobby Lobby coupons that are printable from their home page. They are usually 40%)After you have cut your sheets of paper and have them in piles by design, just start dipping them into the pan of paint to get them wet on both sides. I use the paint brush to help wipe off the excess. You want them to be nice and wet but not glue just running off of them. Place the paper directly on the wall and smooth it out with a damp hand towel. Just keep repeating the process. You don't have to have any certain method of placing them. You can fill in where you need to. When it dries, it dries clear.You should put down sheets to keep it from dripping on the floor because it can get messy.This is such a fun project and Hobby Lobby runs these sheets at 4 for $1 about once per month. You can border a room for about $15 (average room) You can paper an entire room in no time at all and so much cheaper than traditional wallpaper.You can put these right on top of old wallpaper or paint. No worries with having to remove old paper beforehand!
Scrapbooking sheets are 12 x 12 but they also make a smaller size that is 11 1/2 x 8 which is cheaper to start with. The great thing is being able to mix and match colors and designs. To do just a border - the total cost was $19 for scrapbooking squares plus cost of glue. I bought the squares at Hobby Lobby (4 for $1) and I used a 40% coupon for my glue.

8 comments:

  1. Great idea! I never thought to use scrap book paper in this way! I also love the vase from an earlier post! I found you on the GFC blog hop and I am now following you on Bloglovin and GFC. I'd love for you to come visit my blog sometime. Have a wonderful day!

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously stellar in the idea department! Will have to remember this for the house I'm getting to move into!
    Thanks so much for stoppin by with the GFC blog hop.
    Figured I'd come share the love! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too fun. This whole darn site. Love it.

    Aloha,
    Following ya from naptime reviews and am looking forward to more crafty visits.

    We're riding the wave of life at localsugarhawaii.com and I'd love it if you'd join us. Tomorrow we will have the most mellow Wordless Wednesday link up. No rules. Just friends. Come over and join us, if you please.

    xo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy to help an angel get its wings :).

    This idea is brilliant. What a great alternative to wallpaper and opens you up to so many great designs, patterns and colors. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good idea. Thanks for visiting my blog jollyjillys

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I'm dropping in from the blog hop. I saw your sewing machine and we have the same one which I blogged about here:

    http://craftmatesetc.blogspot.ca/2012/05/tiffany-is-here.html

    I hope you can check out our blog too. We are 4 friends who share a passion for crafting - a cake designer, a scrapbooker, a jewellery maker, and there's me - a newbie sewer.

    Thanks!

    Virna from Craftmates

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by and following! I'm following you back! I'm enjoying your blog too, great projects!

    ReplyDelete

Every Time You Comment - An Angel Gets Its Wings~